General Writing and Grammar Help/respond..

How are you?

Please suppose that I have sent you an email but you haven't answered it yet. Now, you want to answer it.Which of the following sentences would you use at the beginning of your reply?

A) David, I apologize for not having responded to your email sooner.

B) David, I apologize for not responding to your email sooner.

Thank you

Both are correct.

There is a minor difference in focus between A and B. Sentence A focuses on the actions of the writer leading up to the present; while B focuses on present actions.

As I say, the difference is minor, so one could really be used as well as the other in any situation.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson

I can answer any question--usually the same day--on correct English grammar, usage, and (non-fiction) writing style, usually the same day, based on the American practice. All answers are explained, and I encourage follow-up.

I'm a retired editor and a lifelong student of this subject. My library includes a great many works to which I've referred through the years. I currently rely primarily on the sixteenth edition of The Chicago Manual of Style.

For over 30 years I edited the newsletter of my own organization, which had different names but was last known as

BA, Brooklyn College. Advanced studies in economics and political science.

For many years a member of Mensa.