General Writing and Grammar Help/respond..

Question
Hello

How are you?

Please suppose that I have sent you an email but you haven't answered it yet. Now, you want to answer it.Which of the following sentences would you use at the beginning of your reply?

A) David, I apologize for not having responded to your email sooner.

B) David, I apologize for not responding to your email sooner.

Thank you
David.B

Answer
Both are correct.

There is a minor difference in focus between A and B. Sentence A focuses on the actions of the writer leading up to the present; while B focuses on present actions.

As I say, the difference is minor, so one could really be used as well as the other in any situation.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson