General Writing and Grammar Help/Subjunctive

Question
In most Lantin Root languages the subjunctive mood is mandatory, but not consistently in English, both American as well as UK.  Is this an error or appropriate usage?

Answer
I don't claim any expertise in British English. In American English, use of the subjunctive mood is largely gone. Certain expressions effectively demand use of the subjunctive--e.g. "if I were you," "I require/suggest that he leave now." I would consider substitution of the indicative in such an expression an error, although it would be most unusual for anyone to commit it. (The most likely candidate would be a non-native speaker who might be confused about the extent to which the subjunctive mood has disappeared here.) The subjective persists in some stock expressions, as "perish the thought," "be that as it may", and these of course cannot be used with the indicative. It's never wrong to use the subjunctive appropriately, although it can sound stilted.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson