General Writing and Grammar Help/Usage of the word "surgery"

Hello Richard,
I hope you donít mind my asking two questions today. Now for my question. Are the following sentences grammatically correct and do they make sense?
1. I spent a lot of money on plastic surgery.
2. I spent a lot of money on getting plastic surgery.
3. I spent a lot of money getting plastic surgery.
4. I spent a lot of money to get plastic surgery.
5. I spent a lot of money on having plastic surgery.
6. I spent a lot of money having plastic surgery.
7. I spent a lot of money to get plastic surgery.
8. I spent a lot of money to have plastic surgery.

I greatly appreciate your help.
Best wishes,

(Regarding your supplementary question, "do they make sense": In my view "correct" and "make[s] sense" are the same; that is, a sentence will be correct if and only if it makes sense, and vice versa.)

1 through 4 are correct.
5 is not standard usage, and thus incorrect.
6 through 8 are correct.

If you have something else in mind for "make sense," please feel free to follow up. Or follow up in any case, if you wish.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson

I can answer any question--usually the same day--on correct English grammar, usage, and (non-fiction) writing style, usually the same day, based on the American practice. All answers are explained, and I encourage follow-up.

I'm a retired editor and a lifelong student of this subject. My library includes a great many works to which I've referred through the years. I currently rely primarily on the sixteenth edition of The Chicago Manual of Style.

For over 30 years I edited the newsletter of my own organization, which had different names but was last known as

BA, Brooklyn College. Advanced studies in economics and political science.

For many years a member of Mensa.