General Writing and Grammar Help/colon vs. no punctuation

Which one is correct?
My current areas of interests are physics, literature and art.
My current areas of  interests are: physics, literature and art.

I have three children whose names are Mary,John and Emily.
I have three children whose names are: Mary, John and Emily.

You have two questions here. I'll answer the first. Please submit the other as another question.

Also, it would make things a lot easier if you'd distinguish your examples with capital letters, as I've done here:

A. My current areas of interests are physics, literature and art.
B. My current areas of interests are: physics, literature and art.

Neither is correct, because
(1) the abstract interest (not interests ) must be used, and
(2) there should be a comma before the and. (See the answer to your previous question.)

B is additionally not correct because to merit a colon, the words that introduce a series must be able to stand alone as an independent clause, as for example
I have many areas of interest: physics, literature, and art.

A correct version of your sentence is
My current areas of interest are physics, literature, and art.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson

I can answer any question--usually the same day--on correct English grammar, usage, and (non-fiction) writing style, usually the same day, based on the American practice. All answers are explained, and I encourage follow-up.

I'm a retired editor and a lifelong student of this subject. My library includes a great many works to which I've referred through the years. I currently rely primarily on the sixteenth edition of The Chicago Manual of Style.

For over 30 years I edited the newsletter of my own organization, which had different names but was last known as

BA, Brooklyn College. Advanced studies in economics and political science.

For many years a member of Mensa.