General Writing and Grammar Help/Plural or Singular

Question
Dear Grammar expert, while plural verb is used for plural subject noun and singular verb is used for singular subject noun, I wish to know how this applies when the subject noun is a plural word which is used as a singular.  
    For example, which is right. "Diabetes related problems is a risk factor." or "Diabetes related problems are risk factors."
    In the examples above, I wish to use the term "diabetes related problems" to mean problems as a group.
    I would think that "Diabetes related problems is a risk factor." is the correct form. However, I very much need your assistance.

Answer
First of all, "diabetes related problems" is incorrect. A hyphen is required: "diabetes-related problems." (If you'd like elaboration, please ask a follow-up.)

Second, the subject of the sentence is "problems," which is plural, and requires a plural verb. "Diabetes-related" is an adjective modifying "problems."

Correct is:

Diabetes-related problems are a risk factor.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson