General Writing and Grammar Help/question

Question
Which one is correct to say?what is your favorite animal?
A.My favorite animal is a cat.
B.My favorite animal is cat.

Answer
Neither is correct.

1. B is wrong because there must be an article preceding this noun. In English there are three articles, a, an, and the. (The first two are "indefinite" articles, the last the "definite" article.) Before most nouns an article is required, while in come cases the article is omitted or may be optional. Unfortunately there is no reliable rule for when the article may be omitted.

2. A is wrong because the article must be the definite article. When a singular noun refers to a class, the definite article must be used. Hence:
      The ape is the smartest of non-human animals but
      An ape approached me yesterday.

Correct would be:

My favorite animal is the cat.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson