General Writing and Grammar Help/Usage of the word "influence"

Question
Hello Deborah,
I have a question for you about the usage of the word “influence”. Are the following sentences grammatically correct?
1. My friend is a bad influence on me.
2. My friend has a bad influence on me.
3. My friend is a bad influence.
4. My friend is a bad influence, thus, I want to stop hanging out with him.

I am so thankful to you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. I hope you have a great day.
Sincerely,
Glen

Answer
Hello Glen,

Sentence 1 is correct as it is written.

Sentence 2 is also correct the difference is the verb tense.  

Sentence 3 is a bit confusing because it does not explain on whom the influence is bad. It is implied that the influence is on me.

Sentence 4 is not conversational with the use of the word 'thus'.  I would change it to:

My friend is a bad influence so I want to stop hanging out with him.  OR, ... so I do not want to hang out with him.

Respectfully,

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess