General Writing and Grammar Help/Appositives......again

Question
Which of the following sentences is/are correctly written and punctuated?

a) John and his girlfriend are looking to relax, but massage therapist Brandi has other plans for them.

b) John and his girlfriend are looking to relax, but massage therapist, Brandi, has other plans for them.

c) John and his girlfriend are looking to relax, but the massage therapist Brandi has other plans for them.

d) John and his girlfriend are looking to relax, but the massage therapist, Brandi, has other plans for them.

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Thanks, Paolo, for your follow-up.

(Note that below I've used capital letters to distinguish your selections, and I'd be grateful for your doing the same in the future. That will save me a bit of time.)

B and C are wrong. B is wrong because the appositive, Brandi, is used restrictively--not just descriptively--and accordingly the surrounding commas are inappropriate. C is wrong because the introductory the is inconsistent with the restrictive use of the appositive Brandi. C would be correct without the the.

Either A or D could be correct, depending on the intended meaning. With A, Brandi is used in a restrictive sense, and with D it's used non-restrictively (descriptively).

In practical terms it makes little difference whether A or D is used--so perhaps it would be best just to remember that if the introduces the noun to which the following appositive relates, the appositive must be surrounded by commas; and if that the is absent, there must be no such surrounding commas.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson