General Writing and Grammar Help/Comma usage with appositives

Question
What do the following sentences imply?

a) My sister Ornella has a degree in law.

2) My sister, Ornella, has a degree in law.

Thank you.

Paolo

Answer
A. My sister Ornella has a degree in law.
B. My sister, Ornella, has a degree in law.

A is using the appositive ("Ornella") in a restrictive sense. You have two or more sisters and the sentence conveys that this particular sister has a law degree. The absence of commas restricts the meaning to the one sister named. The sentence is not correct if you have just one sister. It would be correct, however, even if another sister also had a law degree.

B uses the appositive in a descriptive sense: the commas indicate that you are using Ornellas's name to describe the sister but not restrict the meaning of the word sister.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson