General Writing and Grammar Help/FICTION vs NON FICTION

This is difficult to explain. I want to write about a famous ( long ago deceased) historical figure. I would be using historical facts and events, but I want to fill facts and events with the unknown personality of this person. You know,the personal side that historican simply didn't know or cared less about. Perhaps this persons private agony, or secret desires, etc. The possible life around them. Now, here is my question: would I class this book as fiction or nonfiction?
Mr. Clayborn, you've always been a great help and I want you to know I appreciated your advise and assistance.

Hi Michael,

I completely understand what you are asking about. This is a specialized category of fiction called "historical fiction". There are many well-known examples of this type of work. For example; "Pillars of the Earth" has fictional characters that framed in actual historical events. Another example is a series currently on Netflix called "The Last Kingdom", which is based on a series of books about Alfred the Great. The main points of the story are accurate and factual, but some of the characters interactions, and even some of the characters themselves (such as the main character Uhtred), are fictional.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)