General Writing and Grammar Help/Do I say "catch up to" or "catch up with"?

Hello Dr. D,
I hope allís well with you. I have a question for you. Iím not sure if I should say ďcatch up withĒ or ďcatch up toĒ, or if both ways are correct. In other words, are the following sentences grammatically correct and do they make sense?
1. Iím studying English hard to catch up with my classmates.
2. Iím studying English hard to catch up to my classmates.
3. Iím studying hard to catch up with my classmates.
4. Iím studying hard to catch up to my classmates.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Hello Glen,

I prefer sentences #2 and #4.  Sentence #3 could be confusing because it could mean you are catching on what is going on with your classmates.  Sentence #1 is clear because you specify English so it would be okay but #2 and #4 are better, in my opinion.

Best regards,

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University