General Writing and Grammar Help/not

Question
I have a question about the first sentence in the paragraph below:

Young women do not choose abortion because it's "convenient" for them and because having an abortion will mean their "futures are not ruined."  They do it because of the child:  they know they are not ready to be mothers and do not want the child to suffer.

What does the first sentence imply? Does it mean that young women choose abortion not because it's "convenient" for them, and it is also not because having an abortion will mean their futures are not ruined?

Answer
Thanks, Peter, for your question.

The answer to your question is Yes; the meaning is as you suggest. The sentence includes two subordinate clauses, each giving an example of why young women do not choose abortion. (The subordinate clauses each modify the verb do choose as transformed into a negative by the adverb not. )

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson