General Writing and Grammar Help/run-on sentences

Question
Are these sentences correct?
I finished my homework, now I can rest.
I finished my homework.Now I can rest.

Answer
A. I finished my homework, now I can rest.
B. I finished my homework.Now I can rest.

Thank you, Dan, for your question. Note my addition above of the leading capital letters. I would appreciate it if hereafter you would similarly distinguish multiple selections in a question. That would save me a bit of time.

Both selections are wrong, because you used the wrong tense for the verb to finish. You used the past tense, finished, which is appropriate only when the action took place in a definite time in the past, as in I finished my homework an hour ago. Instead you must use the present perfect tense. (See below.)

With that change in tense (and a space after the period), B would be correct:
I have finished my homework. Now I can rest.

A would be wrong even with the change in tense, because you've connected two independent clauses with a comma. You could correctly connect them with a conjunction:
I have finished my homework and now I can rest.
or (better) you could express the thought as an independent clause modified by a subordinate clause:
As I have finished my homework, now I can rest.

As you probably know, you can contract I have to I've, and for most purposes the contraction is preferable.

*    *    *    *

If any of the above is not entirely clear, please submit a follow-up question.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson