General Writing and Grammar Help/Run-on sentences.

Question
Would you put a comma or semicolon between these two sentences?  
We are at a critical milestone, I cannot be more serious.  I'm thinking semicolon between it's two independent sentences not combined with a conjunction.  Your thoughts?

Answer
Thanks, Elaine, for your question. I hope you ask more.

By "these two sentences," I think you mean We are at a critical milestone, I cannot be more serious.

First of all, this is one sentence. A written sentence is any group of words beginning with a capital letter and ending with a period, with no period intervening.

However, that sentence as written is incorrect, because it consists of two independent clauses that are not connected by either a coordinating conjunction (and or or), or by a semicolon. That type of incorrect sentence is sometimes called a run-on sentence.  Correct would be

We are at a critical milestone; I cannot be more serious.

It would also be correct to say
We are at a critical milestone, and I cannot be more serious.

If any of the above is not entirely clear, please submit a follow-up question.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson