General Writing and Grammar Help/See & watch

Question
Is there a difference in meaning between the following two sentences?

1) I SAW a beautiful movie on TV last night.

2) I WATCHED a beautiful movie on TV last night.

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Used properly, watch denotes an affirmative continuing action by the watcher, that is not necessary when something is simply seen. One would not watch a sign, for example, unless the watcher expected it to change while he or she watched it. But in a theater one would watch--not see--a movie. In informal speech see is sometimes used in place of watch.

*    *    *    *

Paolo, I've made an exception for you this one time, but I need to tell you this question is contrary to the Instructions from the Expert on my Ask a Question page. I suggest you review those instructions.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson