Genetics/Are amoeba immortal?

Question
Hi
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question,if its not, kindly direct me to the right one

Are amoeba and other organisms which multiply by cell division "immortal", as an amoeba divides into two to reproduce and thus there is no 'dead body' to speak of.

I know this question is a bit naive, but i wanted to ask it any way.

Thanks.

Answer
Pranav,

You r technically correct in considering amoeba as "immortal". It applies to even other organisms lower on the evolutionary scale (in terms of organ systems classified by humans)- organisms which regenerate.
In case of Amoeba, there is indeed no deadbody and the "mom" divides into two daughter cells. Biologically, these are two entities which are clones of the mother - who now ceases to exist. So it could pass for a philosophical question beyond a point.
Thane

Genetics

Thanemozhi Natarajan