Genetics/Cloning

Question

I have a question about cloning. When wanting to express a gene in a certain cell line a plasmid containing multiple copies of that gene can be used (3-6 copies). My question is simply why this is done?

Answer
hi Ana,

One reason is to increase the yield of the protein product of that gene. Some genes may have poor expression or may have poor transfection efficiency in some cell lines. For this reason, increasing the copy number of the gene in the plasmid, might help to increase the expression levels of the gene and its protein product.

T

Genetics

Thanemozhi Natarajan