Genetics/The future of cloning

Dear Thanemozhi,

I wonder whether the future is gonna bring some really new opportunities in cloning, like these: manipulating the very DNA helix, genes, chromosomes; reproducing those mentioned above; and, finally, the certainty of a 100% secure and effective cloning process (say, one healthy original cell is one healthy duplicated animal). When such wonders could come into being?

Thanks for an answer...

Hi Artur,

Cloning is an evolving field. Manipulating the DNA and creating a cloned cell using the manipulated gene is theoretically possible. I would say that once the entire genome is unraveled- which is not far away as scientists are learning more and more about each region of the genome- this might be possible. But as of now,a perfectly cloned cell, using artificially synthesized genes or even genes chipped and modified or "sculpted" by scientists is a thing of the future. I wont say impossible....

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics