My boyfriend is mixed(half black half hispanic)and I'm black and native american descent. Is it possible that if we have multiple kids, like maybe 6+, some can turn out looking full hispanic or full black and so on? Because I've noticed in mixed ethnicity/race families some kids look mixed but others look like one race or the other.

Hi Diane,
Since both of you share genes of one descent (black)- the highest likelihood, as you observed, will be children with black features. However, you both may also share to some extent, native American genes (I say this because, you described yourself as half-Hispanic, and Hispanics can carry some genetic elements of native American descent). So my guess is, the likelihood in descending order would be children with: a) full black followed by b) native American, c) mixed and d) Hispanic looks. But which of the above would occur in any one of the pregnancy is purely  a matter of chance.

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics