Genetics/Was it the milkman? Hair/eye color.

Question
"So im watching Barbie and the 12 dancing princesses with the kiddos and I notice that the picture of the queen, she has medium brown hair and hazel eyes and the king has blonde hair and blue eyes, yet the oldest princess, their daughter, has black hair and brown eyes. Can anyone with basic biology skills say, milkmans baby?" As I hear it hazel eyes are not well understood. Is it possible for the king and queens child to come out with brown eyes and black hair. I know color can skip generations and it might depend on the grandparents and other multiple genes can determine the outcome.

Answer
Hi Anthony! Yeah, that sort of depiction makes you wonder.  Skin, eye, and hair color are very popular questions. Unfortunately human pigmentation is something we don't understand all that well yet genetically.

A general explanation. Genetics can be thought of as the 'cards' we're dealt at conception. What does this mean? When a lady makes egg cells, her body takes all her genes, shuffles them like cards, and then deals out one-half a deck to each cell. Guys do the same thing with sperm cells. When a baby is made, his and her DNA half-decks are combined to make a full deck of genes for each child. The number of cards (genes) is fixed. However, the pictures on the cards are not 'one of two colors or four suits'. Really, human inheritance has many possible pictures for each card number. We call different pictures in each card position 'alleles'. The total combination of card values/alleles will affect the outward appearance of the children, who gets one allele 'picture' from each parent. If you look at my references at the bottom, hopefully this introduction will help those articles make more sense.

But what about skin/hair color? If we imagine a person as a factory, there is a whole department in the factory dedicated to producing the two known pigment genes, eumelanin (brownish) and pheomelanin (reddish). There are also support staff that indicate when the pigment is produced, how it is delivered, and where it goes, as well as how much the workers make. All of these factors are also controlled by DNA variations. What color we see at the end is a summation of the entire department's efforts, which could be ten or more genes. Also, the instructions on what to make can vary over time given how old the person is. Most often people's hair darkens at maturity, then grays at seniority, but this is not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes skin tone is darkest during youth but bleaches with old age.

Eyes. There are six genes that pool together to make eye pigment; if you have very little pigment, you end up blue or gray. If you have lots, you get a dark brown eye. Each child inherits three genes for eye color from each parent, and each gene is an on/off. it's largely - but not always - governed by how much total pigment is made. Blue is least pigment, while green or hazel is an intermediate amount, light brown is often half 'blue' allele and half 'brown' allele, and dark brown eyes have genetic alleles for loads of pigment.  Green or hazel eyes are rare because you need just the right amount of pigment from one parent, and usually none from the other. In this instance the blue eyed king is helpful.

So, princess A could have brown eyes and black hair, if she picked up a mutation that vastly increased the amount of hair and eye melanin produced. She'd be the only standout raven haired princess in the family, though, and it would be much more statistically likely to see if her features matched someone else at Court, or a previous royal marriage.

There's a lot to read out there on this topic. Hopefully what I told you makes sense. Please feel free to come back if you have questions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC212702/pdf/pbio.0000027.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color
http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001516.html
http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/fetal-development/baby-appearance_71319

Genetics

Trista Robichaud, PhD