Genetics/red hair in my beard?

To start off, I'm 18 and have recently started growing my beard out fully. I have noticed that I have a large amount of red hair intermingled with my dark brown (almost black hair). I have red hair all along my chin and jaw line. My dad has a full beard also but no red hair but my brother has a few red hairs also. As far as I know I have no red headed family remembers. So what could it be? 

Hi Alex,

If you are a Caucasian, then there is a good chance that some ancestral genes that came together, one each from your parent to give a red color beard.
Unless something is known of your ancestry, it is difficult to say. The other possibility is that there has been a de novo mutation in the germ cells of parents, giving rise to red color.
Or, finally, an exposure to some external agents could have caused it.

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics