Genetics/Genetic Link to Alzheimers

I am 10th grade student doing a research project on Alzheimers.  I am wondering if you know if there have been any recent findings in there being a link between Alzheimers and the genetic code of that person?  I am building a model of the human brain showing the effected areas and the stages of the disease.  Any information or help you can provide would be great!!!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Hi Jermeka,

I understand that you want to know gene mutations linked to the disease? Well, so far age is the highest risk factor but recent studies show that there might be a genetic factor to it.
Genes that are known to cause the disease at even younger ages are:
amyloid precursor protein (APP), presenilin-1 (PS-1) and presenilin-2 (PS-2).

The gene with strong risk for the old age onset of the disease is apolipoprotein E-e4 (APOE-e4). APOE-e4 is one of three common forms of the APOE gene. See the link:

Other genes assoiciated with late onset of the disease are given below. These genes are either involved in clearing plaques in the brain or preventing inflammation of the brain which can cause the disease. Mutations or imbalance in their production can lead to the disease.

You might also find this site useful:

good luck with your project.

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics