Genetics/Genetic Link to Alzheimers

Question
I am 10th grade student doing a research project on Alzheimers.  I am wondering if you know if there have been any recent findings in there being a link between Alzheimers and the genetic code of that person?  I am building a model of the human brain showing the effected areas and the stages of the disease.  Any information or help you can provide would be great!!!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Answer
Hi Jermeka,

I understand that you want to know gene mutations linked to the disease? Well, so far age is the highest risk factor but recent studies show that there might be a genetic factor to it.
Genes that are known to cause the disease at even younger ages are:
amyloid precursor protein (APP), presenilin-1 (PS-1) and presenilin-2 (PS-2).

The gene with strong risk for the old age onset of the disease is apolipoprotein E-e4 (APOE-e4). APOE-e4 is one of three common forms of the APOE gene. See the link: http://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/publication/alzheimers-disease-genetics-fact-s

Other genes assoiciated with late onset of the disease are given below. These genes are either involved in clearing plaques in the brain or preventing inflammation of the brain which can cause the disease. Mutations or imbalance in their production can lead to the disease.
SORL1.
CLU.
CR1.
PICALM.
TREM2.

You might also find this site useful: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/405

good luck with your project.
Best,
T

Genetics

Thanemozhi Natarajan