I am wondering what you may be able to predict our baby's hair and eye color to be?  I have brown hair and brown eyes.  I was born with dark brown hair and curly hair that is now straight. My husband has blonde straight hair and blue eyes.  My mother has blonde hair and blue eyes, and my father has brown hair and brown eyes.My husbands mother has blue eyes and blonde hair and his father has brown hair and brown eyes.  Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

hi Emily,

Given your and your husbands hair and eye color, it looks like both of you are heterozygous for eye and hair color. That means you both carry one gene for light colored eye/hair and one for dark. Since dark is dominant, the ext appearance is dark. Your child will have 1 in 4 chance of having blonde hair and blue eyes.

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics