Genetics/bone marrow and genetics

Hi, I just recently joined Be The Match bone marrow donation. I learned that when I donate bone marrow, the recipient will have the same blood and bone dna as the me, the donor. What happens when the recipient have children. Will my dna be part of the recipient's children genetics?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Caroline,

The short answer is a NO. The marrow cells are a type of stem cells but they are somatic cells or cells that do not take part in reproduction. During sexual reproduction, only the female cells- egg and male cells-sperm take part. The resulting fetus will contain the DNA the person who donated germ cells (ovum or sperm).

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics