Genetics/Could my dad have had a different father?

I ask because my dad has hazel green eyes (the only one out of 8 children in a Mexican family! ) and wanted to know how that can happen if he came from two brown eyed parents. So why is he the only one borm with a differnt eye color?

Hi Cameron,

His two parents could be a heterogzygous carrier for green eye. Since green color is recessive to brown, even if each of his parents carried one copy of the gene for green eye, the likelihood of having a green eyed child is less. It is 1 in four. That could explain the rest of the siblings having a brown eyes and he happens to be the one to get one copy of gene for green eye from each parent, resulting in green eyes.

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics