Genetics/mixing DNA

im a 14 years old student, and im thinking of making a glow in the dark plant, i just dont want to say all my ideas its too complicated, its not using a firefly for making plant glow in the dark, my question is can i mix an animal DNA with plant DNA to make a plant mixed with both? is there any special way of doing that? please explain to me i really wanna do what im thinking of. and tell me if they can be mixed, what should i mix? cells or what?

thank you

Hi Yousef,

I am not sure if I understand correctly what you mean by 'mix' DNA. If you want to randomly mix, you wont have a control of what gets integrated and 99.99 % of the times, it wont result in a viable cell. If you want to do a controlled and specific mix, you have to do several trials using the genes that you are interested in and ligate to the host DNA. Which ever combination results in a viable cell, may have a chance of dividing. Again, due to incompatibility, the cell may end up dying without being able to divide.

What should you mix?
I would not use the word 'mix'. Integration of a DNA from a donor species to the genome of the host species is what one would do.

Thanemozhi Natarajan

Answers in Genetics, genomics, cytogenetics of syndromes, congenital anomalies, cancer, clinical genomics and interpretation of omics data.

More than 10 years. Doctoral research thesis on Congenital anomalies and cytogenetics, Recurrent reproductive failure and chromosomal abnormalities. Postdoctoral experience in Breast cancer research. Current: Clinical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics.

Cancer Cell International, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, Breast cancer research and treatment, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, BMC Proceedings, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Human Molecular Genetics, Frontiers in Genetics, Cancer Biomarkers.

PhD Biomedical Genetics

University Grants Commission Award for pursuing PhD level research (India); Travel awards to attend conferences.

Post doctoral experience Cancer research, molecular epidemiology Current: Clininical Genomics and Pharmacogenomics