Geography/Wet equator / dry equator

Age - 43 / Study level - independent / Country - USA / Language - English

Hello! Could you tell me how much of the earth's equatorial line is on land and how much is on the oceans. The only answer I could find in my own research is 78.7% ocean, some 7% higher than the global aveage. Could you be a secondary-source confirmation or correction to this? Thanks very much in advance for your time & help! -JMM

Hi, sorry this took a while, it is seemingness useless data? Why would you need to know this? My curiosity is stronger and after not finding any measurements or distances on the entire web, I have decided to survey this myself using Google-Maps. It will take a while as my time is limited. You can see the progress at

I used a calculation tool at to calculate the distances between the coordinates at where I have added the rough distances, each stage within one kilometer accuracy. This tool also show a map of the section.

Result: 7696km (19%) of land equator and 32342km (81%) of ocean equator but I will check the sum when I finish the Google-map.

By area:  Landmass = 29.2% Oceans = 70.8%

If you are wondering why the percentage of land at the equator is higher than the expected earth area, it is the rotation of the Earth that causes a bulge at the equator and mass tends to move there. perhaps the Earth will look like a spinning pizza one day?

[to be continued and modified]

Any question about the Earth and space too! Facts, statistics, mapping, naming, finding places and opinions about the global matters, nature, people, cities, countries, rivers, mountains, deserts, environment, ecology, travel etc. Anything that bothers or confuses you about how our earth works and why?

Traveled through 52 countries worldwide, researching and planning the next 50!