Geography/Angles at north pole

Question
Dear Rangutan

Could you please tell me what is the angle between a longitude (meridian)and the equator. Theoretically should be 90 degrees but they curve inwards towards each other at the pole. Also what is the angle between two longitude meridians at the pole. I calculate that to be 360/24=15 degrees, would that be right?
thanks
Jeremy

Answer
1799 map
1799 map  

map projection
map projection  
Hello Tanzania

The lines of latitude and longitude are always 90 when looked at straight down onto the Earth's surface or most map projections. If you look at a "sinusoidal map" the lines may appear to cross at an acute angle because the technique used to make land masses appear the correct size, yet the shape of those land masses is not real.

It is difficult to map the round , global earth on a flat piece of paper, so this might be confusing. Best is, to look on a "globe" of the Earth and you will see the 90 angles easiest.

Look at these projections to identify 90 angles near the poles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection

Regards
RRG

Geography

Rangutan