Geography/Query

Question
Good day
Throughout history major cities have been located on/in specific land areas. For example major capitals of Rome, Greece, Egypt as is today major cities such as London and New York.
Interested in finding out throughout history why have specific locations been chosen for major cities and to what extent have locations accounted for such cities current and historical becoming major cities.
Can you refer me to any books, articles etc. that can provide me with insights as to why location and how location was chosen and have accounted for major cities becoming major cities from a historical and current perspective.

Where can I learn more about location placements of major cities from a historical and current perspective?

Answer
Hi Sam

Major cities have grown where trade routes cross.  This may be where land and water routes cross paths.   NYC London Paris Amsterdam New Orleans etc... These are cities with important trade connections to the sea and land.  In ancient times the same held true.  Rome, Alexandria Shanghai, Paris, mohengidaro, ur, etc...  Cities like Jerusalem, Cuzco, teotehuacan,  were all land locked but were key land intersections on major trade routes like the silk route or inca highway.  

Books on the history of city planning and the development of city states would both be good starting points

Geography

Ralph Salier