Geography/Model globes

Question
A globe that I grew up with had a symbol that reminded me of the yellow measuring tape my mother used when sewing. The symbol looked like a vertical infinity sign and I believe it was in the Atlantic Ocean. It was yellow and had markings similar to the measuring tape.

What is this symbol called and what was it's significance? I haven't seen it on globes lately, so also wonder whether it is still relevant.

Answer
Globe (WikiCommons)
Globe (WikiCommons)  
"Symbol"? A logo?
... perhaps you are thinking of the stationary scale on the globe that shows latitude like in the attached image? This latitude scale is sometimes printed on the globe.
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/848e7d_ae8c7837aeba4d959165720e9994e43c.jpg/v1
Please clarify your question if this does not help.
Regards
RRG

Geography

Rangutan