Geography/manhattan, an island or peninsula?

Question
Is Manhatten an island or a peninsula?

Thanks

Answer
Gena,

Hi, sorry I took so long, but your question came after I left this morning. I play Mexican Train Dominoes every Wednesday.

Yes, Manhattan Island is an island.

Manhattan Island, surrounded by the East Riiver , the Harlem River, and the Hudson River. It also includes some smaller islands, including Roosevelt Island (formerly Welfare Island, and even earlier Blackwell's Island), U Thant Island (officially known as Belmont Island), and a small portion of the North American mainland (Marble Hill) contiguous with The Bronx. Marble Hill was originally part of Manhattan Island; but the Harlem River Ship Canal, dug in the late 19th century to improve navigation on the Harlem River, separated it from the remainder of Manhattan, and eventually the part of the original Harlem River channel separating Marble Hill from the Bronx was filled in.

Manhattan is connected by bridges and tunnels to New Jersey to the west, and three New York City boroughs: the Bronx to the northeast and Brooklyn and Queens on Long Island to the east and south. Its only direct connection with the fifth New York City borough is the Staten Island Ferry, whose terminal is at Battery Park at its southern tip.

G@ry

Geography

Gary R. Del Carlo