Geology/what is it?

3mia3 wrote at 2010-06-07 18:48:04
I have a small piece of this exact same thing. I too found mine along a railroad. After researching it online, I am fairly sure that it is Galena. Look it up and see what you think.  

Steven wrote at 2015-05-22 13:59:58
I have one just like the porous one you are showing. I have had it for 53 years and found it in the mountains near a lake in Calif. I have taken it to many rock shows and no one can ID it. I am presently having it analyzed at a nearby college to determine the gravity and metallic content. I wonder if you ever found out any more info on yours? I found it to be somewhat brittle with a drill bit. I was a welder for years and I can say that it is not slag.

Geology

Joe Norris