Geology/Rock Identification

Alex wrote at 2010-04-23 08:00:42
Hello there, I think what you have is a giant piece of amber. Not a stone but fossilized pine resin. It looks like it may have bits trapped in it when it originally cooled. Amber does smell aromatic when burnt. A bit like pine so I am told. Also amber holds a static charge, like rubbing a balloon on your hair then it stands up on end. Don't know how you would do it with that piece though. Probably quite valuable,lucky you.

pril wrote at 2010-09-17 20:32:30
Looks like amber!! more so with the stuff inside of it. and the softness of it. 30lbs does throw that off. but this isn't my area of expertise.

amberman wrote at 2011-05-25 20:52:35
Its obviously Amber or Copal. The smell is a little baffling. They normally smell of pine needles.

If its Amber it is a significant find and possibly of some value

Brenda wrote at 2012-10-24 15:18:12
It looks just like Amber, if you burn a piece it will smell like pine, i collect a lot of amber. That is an extraordinary piece!!!!.

Brenda wrote at 2012-10-24 15:20:09
If it is amber, it is used quite a bit in the northern dakotas for jewelry making and sells for abot 90 dollars a pound.

Peter wrote at 2013-10-31 07:25:56
I'm wondering if this could be ambergris. If not then maybe tree sap.

Joe Norris

I am an economic geologist. An economic geologist does mineral evaluations and appraisals of mineral or mining properties. I can tell you if your deposit has value - remember that a mineral deposit, no matter how good, only has value when mined. Any value assigned to a mineral deposit, in the ground, is only the speculative value that deposit.

I have been a economic geologist for most of my 35 year career. Although I have done work in perhaps 45 states and numerious countries much of my work has been in Appalachian coal, intermountain west gold and silver, and Arizona uranium.

Past President of the Virginia Section of the American Institute of Professional Geologists and a certified geologist in twelve states.

BS Degree from Eastern Kentucky University. Work on MS Degree @ Eastern Kentucky University, Colorad School of Mines & Marshall University Numerious short courses on the value of mineral deposits and how to value same. Also several short courses dealing with the different types of geologic processes; sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic along with the mineral associated with each.