Paola wrote at 2011-05-22 17:18:56
Hi I found the same type of stone last year. I found it at Sliding Rock in Brevard NC.

Joe wrote at 2011-09-14 10:41:42
I have a very similar piece I found this summer in a river as well. It's smooth, shiny, less heavy then a rock. Approx 1x2 inches.  

barbara wrote at 2013-01-27 21:56:28
While cleaning out my new apartment, I came across this same stone I a rock collection left by the previous tenant. I live in MA and the rest of the collection consists of local rocks. I'm very interested to find put exactly what this is.  

GeologyPro wrote at 2013-09-20 17:49:09
Obsidian or Smokey, both variety of Quartz!! SiO2 chemical structure  

The cleavage properties of obsidian can produce sharp edges naturally  

Donnie wrote at 2014-06-05 21:10:30
hey i have found the same rock been tryin to figure out what it was in alabama  

Fraser Hamilton

I have over 15 years of professional experience in the environmental geology field. I am well versed in general geology types of questions and answers. In addition I have a keen understanding of physical stratigraphy (especially in the Valley and Ridge of Central PA) and cycles.

Eight years of education, fifteen years of professional experience. Have worked or studied in ME, PA, TX, KY, IN, TN, OH, WA and Scotland.

Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Properties Magazine
Cleveland Bar Association
Cleveland Engineering Society

BA Geology/Math, University of Maine at Farmington
MA Geology - Physical Stratigraphy, Temple University
Post Grad Studies Geology - Texas A&M University

Distinguished graduate teaching award, Temple University