Geology/Indus Fossil

Question
Sir, my question is what are Indus fossils.

Shahnawaz

Answer
Dear Shahnawaz,

Eid Mubarak,

Index fossils  are fossils which define and designate  specific geologic periods (or faunal stages) If the living species concerned were short-lived (in geological tome scale and lived for short tim, i.e, few hundred thousand years and then extict), then it is certain that the sediments in question were deposited within that narrow time period. The shorter the lifespan of a species, the more precisely different sediments can be correlated, and so rapidly evolving types of fossils are particularly valuable. The best index fossils are common, easy-to-identify at species level, and have a broad distribution—otherwise the likelihood of finding and recognizing one in the two sediments is minor. (also known as guide fossils, indicator fossils or zone fossils)

The answer is prepared with the reference with following link

http://www.answers.com/topic/index-fossil

Hope this answer will help you.

Regards

As always ready to answer to you.

Tariq

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany