Geology/Career Guidance :: Geologist vs Geo-Physicist vs Petroleum Engineer

Question
Hello Mr. Tariq ,

First& foremost  , I must confess that I am profoundly obliged for your unconditional guidance for the aspiring geologists and petroleum engineers on this forum .

My Credentials ::   

I have graduated from a renowned Institute in Textile Sciences , having worked in the Textiles Marketing field for almost 4 years - My degree is a competitive mix of  Chemistry , Physics , Mathematics & some hard core textile related subjects (Mostly linked to Chemistry since I chose Dyeing & Finishing as my core Majors in the final year ).

For the past two years , I have indulged myself in studying  physical geography (in detail  via Books  of Strahler / Deblijj) which have helped me discover my latent interest in the field of geography and geology . Though I haven't obtained any degree in these fields but I am quite confident that I am well equipped with the basic & to some extent advanced theoretical knowledge of this field .

After considerable deliberation and gauging the risks involved I have decided for a career change . And the options I have before me are these

1) Geophysicist   2) Petroleum Engineer

Before I put forward the questions , please take a look at my Strengths and weaknesses as it might ease you in coming up with a more sagacious response .

My Strengths ::
--------------------

1) Above par communication Skills  (written/ Verbal )
2) Interest in Physics
3) Interest in Earth related sciences as well as astronomy
4) Experienced in  working /Leading teams  

My Weaknesses ::
----------------------

1) Weak in chemistry & lack of interest .
2)a) Average in Mathematics .
2)b) Improved my mathematical dexterity considerably after graduation by resorting to learning the tips & tricks of Lightening speed mathematics skills. I performed reasonably well  in GMAT Maths tests after wards- But admittedly Mathematics doens't come to me as a natural talent , though I am considerably sharp in problem solving now but still I find calculus & integration to be quite banal.

My Questions ::
-----------------------

1) I aspire to opt for a Masters degree . In the Light of my strength & weaknesses , What should I opt for ? Petroleum engineering  or  Geo-physicist .

2) My preferred destination for Masters is Canada . Hence Which is the best suited University for me to opt my Masters in Canada & Why ?  I have searched the following options
a)  Masters in integrated petroleum Geo-sciences from University of Alberta
b) Masters in petroleum from University of Calgary
c) Masters of applied sciences in oil & gas from memorial University (http://www.engr.mun.ca/graduate/course/masc_oil.php)

3) What are the pros & cons of doing Masters (in petroelum or Geophysicist field ) from the Petronas University of Malaysia as compared to the Canadian Universities mentioned above ?

I would Highly appreciate your attending of my Questions and helping me reach a sound decision for my future career endeavors.

With regards
Ashar

Answer
Dear Asshar,

Thanks for writing me with so much details about yourself and asking me very crucial career related question.

I have gone through your strengths and weaknesses. I  understand that your weaknesses are not true weaknesses but you have been less attentive in the past toward your weaknesses turning into strengths . I trust that you can select any career path and your natural instinct to learn more and more  and thinking habit will make you successful .  Geography knowledge will indeed useful as this provides the significant base for earth Science.

My answer are as follows;

My Questions ::
-----------------------

A) Mathematics is an essential part both subjects but still you can learn it. Both subjects are good and both are currently in demand in oil exploration industry. In any subject you have to work really really hard to meet the standard of your chosen career

A) Canada is good choice but you may also take admission in Australia and United Kingdom. I would recommend A, c and b as preferred choice.

A) Canadian universities are indeed better due to quality of education, instructor's standard , competitiveness among students, relatively better acceptability on global level than Petronas University and better visibility. Petronas University offer financial support and frequent  full scholarship. Malaysian lifestyle  is relatively less expensive than Canada  but quite a high standard of living. Unlike Canada where life is too expensive and so the education.

I hope this answer will be helpful for your career. If you still have question please send a fresh question.
Please do not forget to RATE this answer.

Regards

Tariq Hasany

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany