Geology/Field Work Report

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah Sir, I am a new student of Geology,that has just attended my first Fieldwork here in Nigeria pls i want you to list Guidelines on How to Write my Report .I will be greatfull to see your Reply thanks!

I hope during your fieldwork you had kept your eyes open and had taken notes. Was it a sedimentary area where you worked in Nigeria?

You may have made some sketches etc, have taken dip/strike values, idea about formation thicknesses, and by now have the better knowledge and feel of the stratigraphy of the area. You must have collected rock samples and fossils etc. Also there may be some questions for which you may not have found answer during the fieldwork. You must have taken geological photographs (not just the group photos and those with your friends:-))

However, the first thing to do after the fieldwork is to organize your field samples, the field notes and update your field notes and lithological description of your field samples after having another look, identification of fossils. Take help of your fellow students and the teacher in this exercise.

In parallel you prepare the list of Contents, which I have found to be a very useful beginning for any report, because it brings more ideas to your mind. As the list beefs up, so would the report. A typical list contains:

(Why the fieldwork was planned, its duration etc)
 (was it just familiarization with the area, measurement of thicknesses or  mapping etc)
 -Access to the area     
(here you put a large scale location map and with an Inset show your study area. You may also download the image of your area from Google Earth). The text should also clearly explain how the area can be reached - railway, road journey, air travel, what kind of vehicles would be required in the field, any other logistic requirement like supplies, security, any special medicine etc.

-Stratigraphy of the area
(In subheadings you put age and all formations of that age under it, from oldest to youngest, any unconformities etc)
(Put a stratigraphic column and describe the  overall geological age range of the rocks exposed in the area, and write down each formation/member's litho-description and support it with the rock sample description you have noted, age of the formation from literature and if you could support it with your fossil collection. If you have noted the startigraphic position of the sample with reference to the top and bottom of the formation then mark them on the stratigraphic column, and also the formation thickness you have noted. Annotate selected photos with contacts marked and formation names, and the orientation of the photo, and if possible coordinates of the location from where you took that particular photo and include them in the report.

(Describe structure of the area and include your structural sketches, attach photos as above)

-Conclusions (any special findings...)

-Acknowledgement (even if its your driver and lab assistant etc., any local person who may have helped you in the field).

General requirements

1.Please do not forget to cite references on the figures, and throughout the text.
2.Cross-check page numbers and figure numbers once the report has taken some shape and for sure once it is finalized.
3.I normally start with what I call a 'Skeleton Report'. Take a folder and put all your work in loose form in the folder, as it will allow you to change the sequence as and when required. You may also put some papers with just the topic written on it, so not to forget; you may then replace them with your respective text on those topics.I am sure you will use computer for your report writing.You may follow the above in a soft copy, but once considerable data is prepared made a hard copy too.
4.The figures take considerable time for preparation and sometimes others are also involved. List down figures/tables/maps etc.  Along with your own sketches collect them from the literature too (scanned) and start their preparation/modification right at the beginning. So the text and figures are prepared in parallel.
5. You may put a list of figures/tables/maps also in the report.
6. Just do not depend on the spell-check, though run it off and on. You must read every word of the report going back and forth to check page numbers in the Contents and the figure numbers, references etc. Then have a final run of the spell-check. Despite that you may find some errors once the report is finally produced.  For the proof-reading I say "I look for a mistake that I invariably find once the report or a paper is published". The best thing is to get it checked by someone else also, it helps in improving the syntax too.

The above answer may be more than what you require at this stage but these guide lines will also help you in planning your future field trips and in preparation of your reports in future.

I will be glad to review your list of contents, if you like.

I hope the above would be of help to you, but feel free to follow it up, as and when required.

Happy report writing.  

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).