Geology/petroleum geology career advice

Question
Hi Syed,

I'm an undergraduate student interested in a petroleum geology career. Currently I'm a junior and have almost completed a biology major but am realizing I would rather pursue a career in geology. I plan to double major in biology and geology (since I've basically got the biology degree).

At my school there are several different types of geology degrees you can get. I'm considering the general geology degree or the environmental geology degree which are very similar in terms of required geology classes. However, I already have some classes completed for the environmental geology (GIS, biology, physics classes)degree because they overlapped with my biology degree. Since I am picking up geology late in my undergraduate career environmental geology will allow me to complete the degree faster than the general option. I do plan to get a masters degree after undergraduate (don't know what type of geology yet).

My question is this . . . will it matter if I have an undergraduate environmental geology degree and want to work in the petroleum industry?

Answer
Hi Jon,

Thanks for sending me your question.

In order to work professionally in hard core petroleum industry the best bet is to have a Masters degree in Petroleum Geology or Petroleum Geoscience. However, being an undergrad in environmental geology you can still work but it would not be an ideal combination and perhaps in future inhibits your career path. Therefore, my recommendations is to get a Masters degree in petroleum geology or geophysics or alternatively you should have an undergrad with petroleum geology and geophysics majors.

Hope, this answer will be useful.

Regards

Tariq Hasany

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany