Geology/petroleum geology career advice

Hi Syed,

I'm an undergraduate student interested in a petroleum geology career. Currently I'm a junior and have almost completed a biology major but am realizing I would rather pursue a career in geology. I plan to double major in biology and geology (since I've basically got the biology degree).

At my school there are several different types of geology degrees you can get. I'm considering the general geology degree or the environmental geology degree which are very similar in terms of required geology classes. However, I already have some classes completed for the environmental geology (GIS, biology, physics classes)degree because they overlapped with my biology degree. Since I am picking up geology late in my undergraduate career environmental geology will allow me to complete the degree faster than the general option. I do plan to get a masters degree after undergraduate (don't know what type of geology yet).

My question is this . . . will it matter if I have an undergraduate environmental geology degree and want to work in the petroleum industry?

Hi Jon,

Thanks for sending me your question.

In order to work professionally in hard core petroleum industry the best bet is to have a Masters degree in Petroleum Geology or Petroleum Geoscience. However, being an undergrad in environmental geology you can still work but it would not be an ideal combination and perhaps in future inhibits your career path. Therefore, my recommendations is to get a Masters degree in petroleum geology or geophysics or alternatively you should have an undergrad with petroleum geology and geophysics majors.

Hope, this answer will be useful.

Tariq Hasany

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist