Geology/Petrophysics: Saturation and Porosity Relationship

Question
Sir,my question is regarding petrophysics which involves evaluation of water saturation.  " According to the Archie Equation  why does saturation Sw or So varies inversely with porosity in reservoir zone if the Rt values remain same"
I mean if saturation increases, it means porosity decreases. What is the reason that saturation decreases with increase in porosity.
Can you please explain the reason. I'm quite confused about it.
Looking forward to your reply.

Niaz

Answer
Niaz,

You are right that Sw and So are inversely related. Increase in one means equivalent decrease in the other (1-Sw=So)and vice versa. Just solve the Archie equation with variables, like changing the Rt values and keep others constant. Do the same exercise by changing the porosity values only.  You may also solve the equation with variable hypothetical Sw values.You will get a feel how the equation works.

Why do you say that increase in Sw means decrease in porosity for the same Rt value in a reservoir? Water and hydrocarbon saturation is a function of how forcefully the hydrocarbons had displaced the water during the charge. A strong charge may displace water in a low porosity reservoirs to a larger extent, and a weak charge may not be able to largely displace water in a high porosity reservoir. In Sui gas field the porosity is high and the Sw is low (favors your point). In Adhi gas/condensate field, porosity is low (Khewra, Tobra)but the formation water production is not a problem.

The best thing for you is to discuss it with a logging expert of a Service Company.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)