Geology/Active Fault Zones of Pakistan

Question
Aoa. Sir, I have a question regarding tectonics. Can you please tell me about the active fault zones of Pakistan ? Please name some major active zones both in North and South and the reason associated for their active nature ?

Answer
Maryam,

Since the continent-to-continent collision of Indian Plate and the Eurasian Plate began sometimes in Eocene, the subcontinent is undergoing dynamic environments in tectonic sense. The initial collision of the Indian Plate was forceful enough to raise the highest mountain ranges (Himalayas) along the zone of contact. Subsequently, the resistance slowed down the northward drift of the Indian Plate, but it is still moving northwards in a subtle manner. The manifestation of this are the earthquakes, which frequently occur and some of them were devastating like Quetta(1935) and Muzaffarabad (2005). If you plot the epicenters of the earth quakes, they generally fall along the major faults in Pakistan, indicating some movements. So the reason for the tectonic activity is the subtle northward drift of the Indian Plate.

Having said that the Chaman fault, Ornach-Nal fault, Kingri fault, the MBT, Kalabagh and Jhelum fault etc are major active zones from south to north. In farther north the MMT also shows recent activity as the terraces/alluvium show break. In the offshore, the Arabian Plate subducts under  the Eurasian Plate that causes tectonic activity in the region.

You may refer to 'Geology and Tectonics of Pakistan' by Kazmi and Jan (1997) for better understanding of the active zone of Pakistan.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)