Geology/Average GPA

Question
Hello,
Im a final year undergraduate student at the University of Karachi, I'll be moving to the US soon. I didnt do as good as I had expected I would at college even though I love geology and well I was an average student. Mostly B's, few C's and the ocassional A. My concepts of geology are fairly clear but I didnt do good in the exams. I'll finish college with a GPA of around 3-3.2, is that good in terms of job prospects or am I done for?

One more thing I'd like to ask you is that, is mining dead in the US?. I was think of going to grad school and I have Mineralogy(also Hydrology and Petroleum) lined up as options.

Answer
To get any worthwhile employment you need a masters degree.  Both environmental and petroleum companies require masters degrees for geoscientists.

Its a dirty little secret universities do not tell you.  A BS is a geotech level degree.  You need an MS to work as a professional that is as a salaried employee in most industries.

The GPA is more important for getting into grad school than landing a job.  Grad inflation in the US is rampant.  A 4.00 is no guarantee any more that the student knows anything.  With professors grading on a very liberal basis to attract students to their classes, and universities softening their policies on dropping or withdrawing from classes with no penalties and students learning to cheat with ever greater facility, GPAs mean nothing.

Used to be that you dropped a class by midterm or were stuck with whatever grade you got after that.  No longer.  kids can drop classes up to the final exam with no penalty.  Schools are only interested in money.  They don't want to appear to difficult and scare students away.  Professors do the same thing.  I found out a few years ago, that one of my professors, who went on to be the chairman of the department, was trading grades for sex with female classmates of mine.  Nice eh?  I guess that goes on more than you would think.

I do a lot of interviewing and GPA means nothing to me.  I look at what the student has done, and the overall curriculum they have taken.

Yes mining is pretty much dead, Canadian and Australian companies do most of the mining these days.  Mining is not geologist intensive, they usually have a small staff working on operatiing mines, but do utilize them in teh field doing sample collection in remote places, like Papua New Guinea and other places with economic mineral potential.

Geology

Keith Patton