QUESTION: I am a student of B.Sc biochemistry (hrns) under calcutta university. My question is what are the prospects of this stream in india?? Can i apply for any government jobs in this field?? kindly if you give me the details of jobs i will be highly obliged.

ANSWER: Are you asking about the prospects in geology, or biochemistry?

QUESTION: prospects in biochemistry

In my career the few biochemists I have encountered were involved with microbiology and the bi-products generated by biochemical process in the production and transport of oil, primarily acids and the like that cause corrosion.

There are companies with active research centers researching all aspects of petroleum.  I works in microbiological prospecting, measuring and mapping the areal distribution of hydrocarbon metabolizing microbes as an indicator of reservoir location.

I know they were having problems in Alaska with pipeline corrosion due to acids generated by biologial processes within the oil being transported.

You can really only know what companies are involved by looking at the literature, or talking to people within the companies to see what they are doing and what kind of people they are hiring.  Society meetings and literature reviews and contacting the authors of the papers directly is a good way to find out and to get your name out there.  They might have some suggestions for you.  

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas