Geology/black sand

hi there i read somewhere that along with the black sands when panning gold there can be grains of gold in the black sands that are also black coated. if this is so, is there anyway to remove the black coating on the gold grains so you can tell if there is any gold in the black sands

I ran a gold mine in Colorado for seven years and I have had many years experience in gold but I have never heard of anything forming a natural coating on gold; however, this may be possible. The black sands associated with gold are magnetite which is magnetic; therefore, a magnet should attract the magnetite but not the gold, since gold is not magnetic.  

Joe Norris

I am an economic geologist. An economic geologist does mineral evaluations and appraisals of mineral or mining properties. I can tell you if your deposit has value - remember that a mineral deposit, no matter how good, only has value when mined. Any value assigned to a mineral deposit, in the ground, is only the speculative value that deposit.

I have been a economic geologist for most of my 35 year career. Although I have done work in perhaps 45 states and numerious countries much of my work has been in Appalachian coal, intermountain west gold and silver, and Arizona uranium.

Past President of the Virginia Section of the American Institute of Professional Geologists and a certified geologist in twelve states.

BS Degree from Eastern Kentucky University. Work on MS Degree @ Eastern Kentucky University, Colorad School of Mines & Marshall University Numerious short courses on the value of mineral deposits and how to value same. Also several short courses dealing with the different types of geologic processes; sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic along with the mineral associated with each.