Geology/Confusion !

Question
Respected Sir
How are you? Honorable Sir I am student of geology and working in Mud logging. Sir few days ago we drilled a well in which we drilled the reservoir 3000 feet horizontally. Sir in this Zone we were getting the same Wackstone to packstone samples but the ROP and gasses were varrying on one moment it wents to 7% and some time 0.36% of gasses .. we were getting the variation of gasses with same ROP also. I need to ask that what are the factors on which the amount of gasses depend and can you answer that why it was happening in that well! ? thanks

Answer
Syed,

As I understand you are drilling through a carbonate reservoir, which is fractured. The fracture development in a sedimentary rock is generally of oblique to vertical orientation, wherein a horizontal well has a chance to penetrate maximum number of fractures, either open or closed. Depending upon the petrophysical properties and varying brittleness of the carbonates, the concentration of fractures may vary. You may find cluster of fractures and then a poorly fractured zone, may be a solid rock mass, or a softer facies while drilling.

It is not necessary that all fractures may be connected in a virgin reservoir. The connected fractures may increase the gas shows and vice versa, while the ROP may not show significant change.

To me the reason for behavior of the well is because of the above.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)