Geology/Confusions !!!

How are you? i am yousuf, I am following your answers from the long time. I have been guided by you many times before also, and i am very grateful for this.
Sir This time I come up with some confusion regarding formation tops, what should be the steps to mark the formation tops else than Gamma ray (just on the base of Physical Appearence), Most of the well site geologist mark the formation tops or try to catch the tops by matching R.O.P from the offsets wells , do you think it is the good idea because sir ( sometime there is the difference of choke and cheese in drilling parameters of offset and current wells) and you know that the driller are not reliable.
and second one is that what should be the criteria for casing point, i have seen that sometime they have chosen the shale lithology having 50 feet of thickness under the limestone.. thanks

Dear Yousof,

To correlate with GR with nearest offset well is a reliable control point and I would advise you to use it but you have to consider the well trajectory and dips of the beds that may confuse you.
For example, if a well penetrate high dips thicknesses of the beds will be greater compare to the dips with low magnitude or near horizontal beds. In similar fashion, the well trajectory also play a role (high inclination of well pathway in horizontal beds may read abnormally high thickness).

ROP is also useful method to correlate with nearby well on mud logs. Although there are several factors that change the ROP values. For example, if driller use a higher Weight on bit (WOB) and Rotation per minute (RPM) in one well whereas other well was drilled with considerably lower WOB and RPMs but you do not necessarily need to match the exact ROP values (say 10 ft per hour to 10 ft per hour) but you have to identify and establish the trend of the increasing and decreasing ROP (also check relative drilling break and reverse break). Check the lithology as well against each ROP you are trying to correlate as not all sandstone are drilled quickly nor all shales drilled with relative ease.

Casing seat is usually placed at the impermeable and un-fractured rock where cement losses should be minimum while circulating cement.

Hope, this answer may be helpful.

Tariq Hasany

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist