Geology/geology

Question
a.o.a sir,

i am a student of m.s geology, i want to work on seismic interpretation of southern potwar basin using 2D, 3D module of move software, kindly tell me the refrences or books for literaryre view, and also tell me the structural and tectonic setting of the area,

Answer
Ahsan,

Potwar is a synclinorium with anticlinal and fault-bounded structures on the flanks, both in the north and south of the Soan syncline's axis. It represents an allochthonous domain that have been thrusted southward along the decollement zone provided by the evaporatic Salt Range formation (SRF). The full stratigraphic sequence of Potwar is exposed along the Salt Range escarpment, at the base of which the Salt Range Thrust is exposed, where SRF crops out. On seismic you will find pop-up structures, anticlines with faults/thrusts on one of the flanks, and may be up-dip fault closures. In the eastern Potwar the structural trend gets more northerly (NNE-SSW)compared to the western side, where the axes trend more easterly (ENE-WSW). Similarly, the structures are ovalish and broad in the west, but getting tighter and elongated as you move to the east.  The best references you can find in the Proceedings of the PAPG-SPE ATCs.

Hope it helps.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)