Geology/Geology

Question
Sir,
i would like to know more about my selected field.i have recently selected in geology for bs degree can you tell me what they will teach me in first year classes and also give me some basics about general geology?

Answer
Shabbir,

Good luck with your selection of the subject. But for the next 4 years keep yourself on your toes and strive for a CGPA above 3.5 at least. The first year classes will deal with basics of rocks and stratigraphy (how the rocks are formed), structure (how the rocks change their shape due to the tectonic forces), basics of mineralogy (how crystals are formed and their basic physical properties like hardness, crystallography and the chemical formula etc).

The first year is very important and provides a base for the future studies. You must understand the concepts to understand the advanced education. Improve your English language, and develop a good handle on computers including graphic software.

If you go for field work, do not consider it as a picnic. Keep your eyes open and interact with your teacher to learn as much as possible. The best place to learn Geology is the field. You should learn how to read the topo-sheets in the field, and locate your position and the outcrops. Structural style to be understood (folding, faulting, dip and strike etc)

So do not worry about what you will  be taught, worry about how to clear your concepts about whatever would be taught.

Best of luck.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)