Geology/geology/ geophysics

QUESTION: dear sir i have a question about my research area. is there is any tectonic difference between DHULIAN, KHUAR AND MEYAL ANTICLINES. If you see closely the Google earth image of the area you will find that this is continuous and basically this is one structure..please help me out about this.

ANSWER: Dear Mohib,

Dhulian and Khaur anticlines are both well pronounced surface structures and easily mappable on surface. General structural trend of both, is NE and SW and locally to E-W. Khaur anticline is very tightly folded  anticline and affected by faulting and some of the flanks dips are nearly vertical. All four way dips including eastern and western plunge can be measured without trouble.

Dhulian anticline is unlike Khaur is more broader, open and large anticline but is total independent anticline from Khaur and Meyal.

I have personally visited many times and observed surface geology and structure geometry on both, Khaur and Dhulian anticlines whereas I have also done extensive seismic interpretation and know very well the subsurface structure.

Meyal-Kharpa anticline is in the north of Dhulian anticline and west of Khaur anticline more complicated  but independent from two other anticlines. On Google earth satellite you can easily identify Khaur and Dhulian and if you get the image print there will be no difficulty marking the four way dips. Meyal's southern and northern dips and well defined but eastern and western plunge are not very well pronounced but in subsurface both plunges can be easily mappable.

In short, all three anticlines are independent folds although their formation is resulted due to N-S compressional forces which are attributed to Himalaya orogeny during Late Tertiary.

Please visit these areas by yourself and take a map and sattelite image and mark dips and strikes with the help of Brunton compass and hand held GPS. Area is very easily accessible from Islamabad and may take one day trip to complete your observations if you have a guide with you.

Tariq Hasany

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your kind response.. i am also doing the subsurface modeling of the area using seismic lines. i will you MOVE software. but sir if you have any paper on the area kindly i you can share with me than i will get idea about the area.

Dear Mohib,

Please find the link of the Meyal paper and some others as well.

Meyal field (full paper)

Ratana field (Abstract)

Potwar Basin (Presentation)

Dhulian field (Abstract)

About Kala Chitta Range (full paper)

Another useful paper to understand Himalaya tectonics

Please do not forget to RATE my both answers which I have given you.

Tariq Hasany

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist