Geology/Geology/ Petrogreolgy

First of all I would like to thankyou in advance for answering my questions. I have recently done my A-Levels and I wanted to choose petroleum engineering for my undergraduate studies. But unfortunately I didnt get admission in it. So now I have 2 options left namely: Chemical engineering or geology ( both from karachi university). However my objective is to go towards the petroleum site by doing a  masters in pertoleum in either one of them. I have an interest in jobs which require more field work, basically the pertoleum extraction part. So can you please guide me that which field will be best for me and more realiable for going towards the preroleum site. I plan to do my masters from U.K. from a very good university. So please tell me about the scope of these fields individually and with masters in Pakistan or abroad( U.A.E. , U.S.A. ,Australia, Canada), and their salary ranges. Thanking you once again

Glad to see an A-Levels pass out thinking ahead.

First thing first. The world ahead is highly competitive. You must work hard to get a CGPA above 3.5 when you complete your Masters. Not only CGPA but your concepts about the subject should be very clear with good English language command/report writing quality, presentation skills and expertise just not in the Microsoft Office but a few graphic software.

Having said that, my priority will be i. Geology and, ii. Chemical Engineering.

At your age field work looks very exciting, but not beyond 5 to 10 years in the professional life. However, the best place to learn Geology is field.

In Geology you will go to remote areas to find oil but in Chemical Engineering you will be taking care of corrosion prevention/treatment of oil/gas wells and pipe-lines etc. I mean in both the subjects you have a chance to enter petroleum Industry. The difference is that by doing Geology  your choice is limited to either mineral exploration or the hydrocarbon exploration. But with Chemical Engineering the scope is much wider i.e. petroleum industry, plants/factories, buildings (Paints and structure endurance through preventive chemical treatment of the RCC/piling etc). So the application is both in mechanical and civil engineering projects.

Now the choice is yours. Best of luck.  

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).