Geology/PhD topic selection

Question
Hi S. Tariq,

I am assistant professor in Mining Engineering Department at Engineering University Peshawar. I did B.Sc and M.Sc in Mining Engineering and Master in Petroleum Engineering from University of Alberta, Canada. Presently, I am PhD scholar at University of Calgary, Canada.

Since, I belong to Pakistan, therefore, I would like to select a topic relevant to any issue (particularly, reservoir engineering or Enhanced Oil Recovery Methods), in any Pakistani oil field.

Can you help me in selecting a suitable topic for my PhD research.

Thanks

Salim Raza

Answer
Dear Mr Raza,

Thanks for sending me your question.

There are several mature oilfields in Pakistan which may need to be thoroughly studied for considering to recommend step for secondary or tertiary recovery or to employ EOR methods. These fields are Khaur, Dhulian, Meyal, Dhurnal, Toot, Dakhni, Adhi and Balkassar located in Potwar basin. All these oilfields are having light oil except Balkassar. I believe if you approach to the DGPC or the operators of these companies directly they may agree to provide you data for research purposes. Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL), OGDCL and Orient Petroleum (OPI)are the operator of these fields.

There are few fields in Potwar basin with heavy oil (Oil API gravity below 15)which have deficiency to flow naturally and require either pumping or steam flooding. (Chak naurang and Joya Mair oilfields)

You may select any field and prepare a research synopsis and include the expected results after completion of the study in a manner which should be useful for the field operator as well which will be a motivating factor for them to support you and utilize your research results to increase the production.

Hope this answer helps you.

Regards

Tariq

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany